Thursday, December 30, 2010

Duck Duck Goose, NO... I mean Duck

So, Jason's coworker, Dustin, loves to hunt ducks, but he doesn't eat them... he came to work with several ducks already de-feathered, skinned, and filleted.  I was nervous because Jason wanted me to cook some this evening.  I searched online for recipes, but I couldn't find any that were for "SKINLESS' duck breasts or anything that would work... SO... in the roaster oven I prepared 3 breasts, 3 different ways----  one with apple butter, pumpkin spice, cloves, cayenne, and butter---- one with garlic, pepper, butter, and apple cider vinegar--- and one with soy sauce, cayenne, sugar, garlic, and butter.... I cooked them over a water bath... they look and smell delicious!

While they cooked, in a skillet I prepared one breast with Sherry, bell peppers, onions, salt, pepper, and garlic.  I cooked it medium and served it with mixed veggies and brown rice...

I was nervous about what duck would be like: texture, flavor, cooking necessity, et cetera; however, I must say, what an easy and delightful experience cooking and eating this once neglected bird!  He will no longer be overlooked in this household... he is dense but easy to chew... and the flavor is pretty outstanding if I do say so myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment