Vegan Mushroom Gravy
- 1/2 large onion, minced
- 10 regular-sized or 6 large mushrooms, sliced or chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed (optional)
- 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon sherry (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 2 tablespoons unbleached flour (substitute with arrowroot for gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup plain non-dairy milk
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- In a medium-sized non-stick saucepan, saute the onion until beginning to brown, about 5-10 minutes (adding a pinch of baking soda speeds things up). Add the mushrooms and 1 tablespoon of water, and cook for another 3 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook, stirring, for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, herbs, nutritional yeast, sherry, and soy sauce. In a bowl, whisk or blend (with a hand blender) the “milk” and flour together until smooth. Add it to the saucepan and stir well. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.